Re: Can't compile docs

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Can't compile docs
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:30:09 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:29 AM

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:06:56PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
I've been creating a patch for the CG and wanted to test it.  Early
this afternoon, I edited issues.itexi and compiled it locally, and
the changes were what I'd created.  However, I'd missed a minor
edit, so I updated it and tried the make doc again.  The change
wasn't reflected in the local web pages.

sigh, I hate it when reality makes nice clean documentation
inaccurate.  I've added some warnings about the doc build to the
quick start.

I did a make doc-clean and make doc and got a failed build.
I've retried this a few times since with no joy but much time.

I've also recommended against doc-clean in favor of removing the
build directory entirely.

Without seeing the build error -- and be warned that the actual
build error is probably 200-500 lines above the end of the compile
log -- I would recommend doing
 touch Documentation/*.te??
 make

and check if that works.  If it fails, then try "make" once more,
since sometimes it fails when you don't have a clean build dir.
If it fails twice in a row, then something is wrong.

If "make" succeedes, then you could try "make doc" again.  Note
that almost all compile-problems in the docs will be caught by a
plain old "make".

Cheers,
- Graham

I'd tried a touch before, and still had no joy. This time I deleted the build directory, re-ran autoconfigure, recreated the build directory as per the CG and then ran make, which was OK. LilyPond executes OK. Then ran make doc and get an error after an hour or so. The last 500 lines of the terminal output are attached. My build/out-www is essentially empty.

Any thoughts?

--
Phil Holmes