RE: Can't compile docs

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Can't compile docs
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:17:41 +0000

Hello,

________________________________
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Graham Percival address@hidden
Sent: 07 January 2011 08:38
To: Phil Holmes
Cc: Lily devel

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here's the file itself.

Good news, very good news, and bad news.

1. your patch is fine.
2. you're not crazy.  I've reproduced the error in lilydev with current git.
3. I haven't solved the problem yet.  Interestingly, there's
absolutely no problem with current git; I've compiled it a couple of
times (both from a clean checkout, and from a previously-compiled
state) on my normal machine.

The fact that ubuntu 10.04 native can compile git, but ubuntu 10.04
virtualized cannot, is not a good sign.  But at least I'm seeing the
same thing, so I can solve it.

-----

I noticed yesterday that the Update Manager for LilyDev reported some
fixes/updates for git-core and gitk.

One thing that does come to mind here and that is resources of the VM/VM Host.

I seem to remember that in some odd cases I would get 'read/write' errors on a
directory while building docs. I also know that some linux distributions will
go into read-only mode when IO is 'too much' for the kernel or the resources (I
use the term loosely) are high - I see this often in my job, although I don't
support linux I have to touch most different OSs daily in some shape or form
and get feedback from many users.

So knowing that, I simply upped my RAM allocation of my VM by another GB and
did another make; make-doc (not even a make clean) and things worked and I
haven't had such problems since.

I realise this is anecdotal, but as I also know our doc build process is shall
we say, highly-strung so often I will try some 'turn it off and turn it on
again' method before I ask for help.

Also Phil if you haven't realised already you can sometimes make use of
Snapshots with Virtual Box, once I get a clean doc build I take a snapshot and
then I know I always have a last known good that I can roll back too and
reapply a patch or edit to see if it was my mistake or something else.

Just my tuppence
James