Re: what's up with optimal-page-breaking-hstretch.ly

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: what's up with optimal-page-breaking-hstretch.ly
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:07:27 +0700

The current output looks ok to me. You can recover the 2.12 output by increasing the page-spacing-weight parameter, but I think the current output still captures the point of the test.

"Horizontally stretched" means that the ideal horizontal spacing would be to use 1 system per page, but lilypond will use two on the first page because it strikes a better balance between vertical and horizontal spacing.

The remark about the raggedness of the second page is important because ragged spacing affects the page breaking as well as the final page layout. Were the last page not ragged, lilypond would try to place more systems on it so that the page would be better filled (you can check that I'm not lying by changing ragged-last-bottom to ##t.)

Cheers,
Joe