Re: doc reorg (especially Usage) possibly finished

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: doc reorg (especially Usage) possibly finished
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:55:32 +0200

Le dimanche 27 septembre 2009 à 17:37 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> How much of scheme do we get into, though?  I mean, what about
> moving it back into Notation?

This would be wrong: even if we expanded it up to make a big chapter, it
would not become reference documentation (we alreadhy have Notation Ref.
6 "Interfaces for programmers" and the Internals Reference for this), it
would remain learning material.

> As far as I'm concerned, as long as newbies know that it's
> *possible* to do all sorts of funky stuff with this magical scheme
> stuff, that's all they need to know.  I mean, nobody can seriously
> complain that we're newbie-unfriendly by not explaining how to
> make noteheads automatically change size based on their staff
> position!

Certainly.  However, when we decide time has come to significantly
expand this appendix and it gets too big to remain an appendix, we'll
have to reword the reading guidelines so the reader doesn't feel he
should even read this chapter, e.g. by recommending that "all this
manual should be read from cover to cover, except the last chapter
"Scheme tutorial", that can be read later to make better use of Chapters
5 and 6 of the Notation Reference, for example."

> > index.html is the default page for a website.  Hence, we wanted LilyPond
>
> Was that seriously the reason?  I don't follow... I mean, the html
> filename is "LilyPond-index.html".

So, why do you criticize the name "LilyPond index"?  The constraint is
that we must have a node name other than "Index", otherwise the splitted
HTML page name would clash with Top node HTML page index.html (not on
Unix systems, but on Windows).

Cheers,
John