Re: git fork help (Was RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Mus

From: Carl D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: git fork help (Was RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 03:36:42 +0000 (UTC)

<c_sorensen <at> byu.edu> wrote:

> > [...snip...]
> >
> > I have no idea how to get started on this.
> > Can you give me any suggestions?
>
> Hi Carl,
>
> The reason this is not working is because your forked repository
> (csorensen.git) somehow does not have a 'master' branch, and git-clone
> only seems to work if the remote repository has a master branch.
>
> So...
>
> Instead, I was able to retrieve your repository (named 'localtest')
> using 'git-remote add':
>
> $ mkdir csorensen
> $ cd csorensen
> $ git init
> $ git remote add -f -t localtest origin
> git://repo.or.cz/lilypond/csorensen.git
> $ git checkout origin/localtest
>
> After you checkout this remote branch, you might want to create a
> local branch from it:
>
> $ git checkout -b my-branch
>
> All of your files should be in the working directory now, hopefully.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -Patrick

THANK YOU!  It worked like a charm.  I think I'm finally
(after 8 months) ready to get fret-diagram-details integrated
into LilyPond!  And after that, I should be able to get a
property in for the variable string thickness that was
requested on -user a couple of weeks ago.

I appreciate all your help, Johannes and Patrick!

Carl