Re: git fork help (Was RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Mus

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: git fork help (Was RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:43:09 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now, I'm trying to get things set up properly with git repositories.  After
> looking
> at the csorensen fork, I have discovered that all of the necessary changes
> are there.
>
> So I decided I wanted to get the csorensen fork.  I decided to use git clone,
> since I
> knew how that should work.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> I have no idea how to get started on this.  Can you give me any suggestions?

Hi Carl,

The reason this is not working is because your forked repository
(csorensen.git) somehow does not have a 'master' branch, and git-clone
only seems to work if the remote repository has a master branch.

So...

Instead, I was able to retrieve your repository (named 'localtest')
using 'git-remote add':

$ mkdir csorensen
$ cd csorensen
$ git init
$ git remote add -f -t localtest origin git://repo.or.cz/lilypond/csorensen.git
$ git checkout origin/localtest

After you checkout this remote branch, you might want to create a
local branch from it:

$ git checkout -b my-branch

All of your files should be in the working directory now, hopefully.

Hope this helps,
-Patrick