git fork help (Was RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music T

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: git fork help (Was RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:42:27 -0600

OK, I got the ssh part of the problem resolved, thanks to your help.

Now, I'm trying to get things set up properly with git repositories.  After
looking at the csorensen fork, I have discovered that all of the necessary
changes are there.

So I decided I wanted to get the csorensen fork.  I decided to use git clone,
since I knew how that should work.

address@hidden gitTest]$ git clone git://repo.or.cz/lilypond/csorensen.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/carl/gitTest/csorensen/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 241842, done.
remote: Total 241842 (delta 191830), reused 241813 (delta 191815)
Receiving objects: 100% (241842/241842), 80.64 MiB | 1143 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (191830/191830), done.
Warning: Remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

But I haven't got any files in my csorensen/ directory (which I would expect,
since
I couldn't checkout the branch).

Is there anything I can do to fix this?  The files _are_ on repo.or.cz; I've
looked at them successfully.

I found a thread
<http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/603c8a9394fc073d>
that says

"This apparently cannot be fixed locally, the only way to clone the repo from
the remote server is to edit the remote *.git/HEAD file to point to a valid
branch. "

I have no idea how to get started on this.  Can you give me any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carl