RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:31:13 -0600

Hi,

Of course not.  I consider your help wonderful; I would never be mad.
I'm grateful for the time you spend with me.

> and I'd like
> > >
> > >I thought "git remote rm csorensen" would succeed...
> > >
> > Apparently not.  I don't really want to remove the remote
> repo, I just
> > want to undo the "git remote add" command.
>
> "git remote" will not really work on a remote repository.  It
> will work on the tracking branches associated with a remote
> repository.
>
> And if you have a new-enough Git, "git remote rm csorensen"
> will just remove the tracking branches and the settings in
> the config, just as you wanted.

I have obtained a newer git, and it works as you say.  Thanks
for pointing out that a newer git would solve the problem.

> > >You need to configure your ssh to use the correct private key.
> > >Something like
> > >
> > >       Host repo.or.cz
> > >                User carl_sorensen
> > >                IdentityFile /home/sorensen/.ssh/id_rsa.repo
> > >
> > >into your $HOME/.ssh/config.  Of course, you have to put in the
> > >correct path to your private key.
> > >

> > Thanks for the help.  I have created a .ssh/config file,
> with an entry
> > as you suggested. I checked to make sure that the SSH key
> was correct.
> > I tried again to fetch, without success. I got the same error -- it
> > asked me for a password.
>
> You said that you gave a password when creating the
> private/public key pair.  So this is expected.  The
> difference should be that this time, it is not repo.or.cz
> aking you for the password, but ssh for the private key.
>
> Unfortunately, you did not paste any output, so I cannot tell.

I didn't paste the output because it was identical to before.  Once
repo.or.cz comes up (it's been down all day), I'll try again.

> > I tried using slogin to connect to repo.or.cz.  No luck with that,
> > either.
>
> With slogin, repo.or.cz should tell you that it is not a login shell:
>
> $ slogin address@hidden
> fatal: What do you think I am? A shell?
>                                        Connection to
> repo.or.cz closed.

Nope -- I got the same answer; asked me for a password.   The password I
used to create the public key didn't work.  But it's nice to have the output
I should expect when my ssh key is working properly.  Thanks!

> > I created a new project, just to see if I had ruined
> something on the
> > fork.  I can't fetch that project either.  Apparently my
> ssh is still
> > not working properly, as I continue to be asked for a password on
> > repo.or.cz.
>
> As I said, I think that this is another password you are
> asked for.  In general, I do not give my private keys (that I
> use only on very few, trusted machines) password, so that I
> am spared that hassle.
>
> > Here is my .ssh/config file:
> > Host repo.or.cz
> > User carl_sorensen
> > IdentityFile /home/carl/.ssh/id_rsa
>
> Looks obviously correct.
>
> > here is a listing of the .ssh directory:
> > address@hidden .ssh]$ ls -alF
> > total 48
> > drwx------  2 carl carl 4096 2008-06-13 20:22 ./
> > drwx------ 36 carl carl 4096 2008-06-13 20:22 ../
> > -rw-------  1 carl carl   71 2008-06-13 18:47 config
> > -rw-------  1 carl carl 1743 2008-06-13 11:13 id_rsa
> > -rw-r--r--  1 carl carl  408 2008-06-13 11:13 id_rsa.pub
> > -rw-r--r--  1 carl carl  470 2008-06-13 18:48 known_hosts
>
> Likewise.
>
> > Can you give me any suggestions about how to troubleshoot my
> > connection problem?
>
> Try the password you gave when creating the ssh keys.  That
> should work.

I'll try again once it comes back up.

Thanks!

Carl