RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Membership request for group GNU LilyPond Music Typesetter
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:01:03 -0600

Thanks for the offer.  Perhaps you can.  I'm willing to give it another try.

I currently have the following:

1.  A fork of lilypond on git.repo.or.cz (lilypond/csorensen.git that has some
improved FretDiagrams functionality, but Han-Wen couldn't pull it into the main
version because there were too many merge conflicts and he wanted me to resolve
them first.  Also, there were line-end problems due to my editor that made the
patches immense, so I redid them.  But I think those are only on my local
repository because I couldn't push them, perhaps because I had the wrong ssh
key because I changed from my Windows laptop to my Fedora desktop for my
development machine.

2.  A local git repository with some changed scheme files on my Fedora Core
computer (don't remember which version of Fedora Core -- it was mostly for
LilyPond development, and I haven't done much of that for about 8 months).  The
local git repository has some corrections relative to the fork.

What I would like to do:

1.  Compare the local git repository to the csorensen fork and see what the
differences are.  Then I'd like to merge them  to get a best-of.  But just in
case I mess up, I don't want to lose either of the repositories.  git should be
able to handle that, but I haven't been able to figure out the right commands.

I'd like to end up with best-of in both my local repository and the fork.

2.  Once I have best-of in my local repository, I'd like to merge it (locally)
with the lilypond git.  Once I accomplish the merge, I should be able to test
for improved FretDiagrams fucntionality.  Once it's tested and proven, I'd like
to push it to the csorensen fork, and make it available for Han-Wen to
cherry-pick.

So, can you give me recommendations on how to get started with this?

Thanks,

Carl