Re: Bugtracker cleanup/update

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Bugtracker cleanup/update
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 02:59:54 -0700

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:33:56 +0200
John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's almost sure that there won't be one person alone left that will
> have enough time and energy to do as much as you do, but I hope we are
> enough people to be able to make GDP live for a few months after
> you've gone.

The basic problem is that reviewing, discussing, fixing, and
committing doc updates from other people takes longer than it
would to do it from scratch yourself.  For the first month or two
for each contributor, at least.  And assuming that you're skilled
with git, the doc policies, etc -- which you need to be in order
to review the changes in the first place.

Also, contributors understandably like to get feedback and see
their changes ASAP, especially those that can't build the docs
themselves.  This means that you have an unpredictable workload...
a week and a half ago I spent 4 hours just dealing with updated
.itely files.  And that was /all/ new material that day; it wasn't that
I let work pile up.

It makes sense to do this if you want to train the next generation
of contributors, but I think we've managed this.  If the goal is
simply to improve the docs, it would be better for you (or whoever
might manage GDP) to simply edit the files themselves.  Especially
since AU and scheme are advanced topics anyway -- you can't just
call on any random user to rewrite the docs on lilypond-book, for
example.

Cheers,
- Graham