Re: skyline vs. y-aligned-side

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: skyline vs. y-aligned-side
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:27:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Joe Neeman escreveu:
> > I think it's just in my local copy so far (I haven't pushed for a while
> > because I was having a very strange problem with "make web") but I'm not
> > at my computer so I can't check. By the way, I accidentally did this
> > particular commit without a commit message. Is there a way to fix that?
>
> if it's the topmost one, you can do
>
>  git reset HEAD^
>
> and redo the commit, otherwise I'm not sure what the easiest solution
> is. Probably applying the changeset to a fresh branch, with patch,
> doing the commit, and merging the rest of the branch in.

Sorry, I missed that question.

The easiest solution is:

        git commit --amend

This command allows you to edit the command message. If you forgot a file,
you can add it with:

        git commit --amend <file>

NOTE NOTE NOTE! You must not do this when you pushed out that commit
(before amending it) to the public git repository. It disrupts the commit
history, i.e. you can no longer fast-forward the public branch to the new
tip. Consequently, git-fetch and git-pull would fail for tracking parties.

BTW I'd be interested to know how you could commit without a message,
since git-commit does not allow that... How did you do it?

Ciao,
Dscho