Re: German update in three patches

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: German update in three patches
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:35:14 +0100

Le dimanche 14 janvier 2007 à 15:31 +0200, Till Rettig a écrit :
> John Mandereau wrote:
> >
> > What command exactly do you use to generate patches?  The following
> > should make clean patches, as long as you committed all your changes and
> > pulled:
> >
> >     git-format-patch web/master..myweb
> >
> Yes, I used this without the ..myweb part.
> I see there is some differences: some recommend to use
> git-format-patch HEAD^ and the others git-format-patch web/master (or
> then with this ..myweb continuation)

Instructions from README are preferred.  They are not perfect, but are
designed to work even if you don't understand every technical detail.
In this case, a patch generated with "git-format-patch HEAD^" isn't
supposed to apply cleanly to the upstream branch (web/master on
git.sv.gnu.org), that's why I recommend "git-format-patch
web/master..myweb".

> But I still don't know how to keep the diffs clean.
> I found that there is a difference: git-rev-parse HEAD^ gives another
> commitish than git-rev-parse web/master. I used the latter one because
> that's what I found in the README. I guess one is my local one and the
> other the one from the internet. Well, now it asked me some merge, and
> I  changed the parts in the <<<< >>>> and made git add and git-commit.
> Now it doesn't complain anymore about these differences: is this how
> you do a merge, then?

Yes.  This one was a merge with conflicts; when you are lucky, you can
merge without conflicts :)

> > According to 'make LANG=de check-translation', the German pages are up
> > to date; I hope you make sure it is correct.
> >
> Yes, now the script gives me the output that the site/documentation is
> changed. But this is the mistake that I made, so it is actually about
> de/translation or in other words: you redid the change I did to
> site/documentation. Should I just commit the documentation file again
> with the new commitish number? Will that stop the check-translation
> script from telling me about a page?

Yep, if a commit in English pages doesn't affect the translation, or if
the translation is already up to date, update the committishes and
commit.

Cheers
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>