Re: German update in three patches

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: German update in three patches
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:31:38 +0200

John Mandereau wrote:

What command exactly do you use to generate patches?  The following
should make clean patches, as long as you committed all your changes and
pulled:

	git-format-patch web/master..myweb

Yes, I used this without the ..myweb part.
I see there is some differences: some recommend to use git-format-patch HEAD^ and the others git-format-patch web/master (or then with this ..myweb continuation)
Anyway, the most important is that your patches cleanly apply on the
latest git.sv.gnu.org.  These patches you sent are not clean: I had to
fix a committish manually, and you made documentation.html translation
in site/ !!!  When I am in a bad mood, I may ask you to resend clean
patches ;-)

Yes, that's what you should do. I'm really sorry about this documentation issue! Thanks for changing it.
But I still don't know how to keep the diffs clean.
I found that there is a difference: git-rev-parse HEAD^ gives another commitish than git-rev-parse web/master. I used the latter one because that's what I found in the README. I guess one is my local one and the other the one from the internet. Well, now it asked me some merge, and I  changed the parts in the <<<< >>>> and made git add and git-commit. Now it doesn't complain anymore about these differences: is this how you do a merge, then?
According to 'make LANG=de check-translation', the German pages are up
to date; I hope you make sure it is correct.

Yes, now the script gives me the output that the site/documentation is changed. But this is the mistake that I made, so it is actually about de/translation or in other words: you redid the change I did to site/documentation. Should I just commit the documentation file again with the new commitish number? Will that stop the check-translation script from telling me about a page?

I will have to make some other changes to the translation: I will try it another time with the commands from the README, but you should complain if it is not cleanly applying, then I might just start a total new branch and continue with this one.

Greetings
Till