Re: New Python script: skeleton maker (with erratum)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: New Python script: skeleton maker (with erratum)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:40:59 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> John Mandereau wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've just finished a script that makes LilyPond skeleton files. It
> > should work with both 2.4 and 2.6 versions.
> >
> > Please try it (see README -> Quick Test) and tell me how useful you
> > think it is; and tell me if the code is clumsy, because I'm not very
> > experienced.
> >
> > I don't know how to distribute it: it depends whether it will be
> > included in LilyPond or not. If it should be distributed separately, I'd
> > have to add the GPL license, and maybe an installation procedure (do you
> > think it is really necessary for a so simple program?)
>
> Just a programming hint: it's easier to assemble the string without any
> indents, and then parse the string as a whole, inserting any indents by
> counting { and } .
Thanks.
Now I have thought a bit more about it (which I should have done
earlier), there is certainly a better approach, which would make it more
simple to use and more flexible. I think I'm going to get rid of this
complex user interface: instaead, the script will take an input file
which consists of Python data definitions.

Thanks to Neil Tiffin, here's a patch for the script: it fixes an error
in the staff definition example.
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>