Re: New Python script: skeleton maker

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: Re: New Python script: skeleton maker
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:16:59 -0500

At 11:55 AM +0200 7/22/05, John Mandereau wrote:
Hello,
I've just finished a script that makes LilyPond skeleton files. It
should work with both 2.4 and 2.6 versions.

Please try it (see README -> Quick Test) and tell me how useful you
think it is; and tell me if the code is clumsy, because I'm not very
experienced.

I don't know how to distribute it: it depends whether it will be
included in LilyPond or not. If it should be distributed separately, I'd
have to add the GPL license, and maybe an installation procedure (do you
think it is really necessary for a so simple program?)
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>

John,

When I copy the example I get a syntax error (see below). Also the syntax for the staff list is a mystery to me. Could you please make this easier and include a very simple example;

For example I tried
(g;;)
(g;;;;;;)
(g;treble;treble;treble;;;)
{(g:treble)(g:bass)}

All of which did not work. Now, it is probably obvious to everyone else why these did not work. But then, I am not experienced with lilypond at all, just learning. All I wanted was a simple piano staff with a bass and treble clef.

The error messages were not helpful.

Neil

brackets [ ] /braces { } /angle brackets < >
Example: <(nlm;soprano;Soprano;Sop.;soprano;;-2)>[(n;treble;English Horn;E.H.;engHorn;f, c;-2)(nk;treble;Horn in E flat;Hrn E fl.;horn;es, c;-2)](gmx,,Piano,Pno.,piano) Enter the staff list: <(nlm;soprano;Soprano;Sop.;soprano;;-2)>[(n;treble;English Horn;E.H.;engHorn;f, c;-2)(nk;treble;Horn in E flat;Hrn E fl.;horn;es, c;-2)](gmx,,Piano,Pno.,piano)
Syntax error: incorrect staff definition
Try again.
Enter the staff list as an enumeration of (staff type;clef;staff name; staff abbreviated name;filename;transposition;scaling)
(press enter for help):

Python 2.4.1 (#1, Mar 31 2005, 11:36:14)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)] on darwin