Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/bibliography...

From: Heikki Junes
Subject: Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/bibliography...
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:23:16 +0300

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:

Modified files:
. : ChangeLog Documentation/bibliography: index.html.in html-long.bst stepmake/bin : text2html.py buildscripts : mutopia-index.py
Log message:
    optimize width for 800x600, width=760px (continued).

Hello,

can you fix/revert this?

Actually, it was a fix. As an introduction, I wanted to find a reference which would describe the subject:

  http://webdesign.about.com/od/webdesign/a/aa080904.htm

A brief extract:

"If the scan length of a line of text is longer than 10-12 words or shorter than 4-5 words, it can be very difficult to read. This means that readers with large or small browser windows will have trouble."

All of a sudden the lily docs in Firefox start to look like attached. My screen is 1280x1024, and I want things to look OK on my 1600x1200 mac as well.

Let us assume that our users know what they are doing, and respect their settings for browser resolution.

Likewise for lilypond.org .  Can you explain your changes?

Let me continue from the point mentioned in the above extract. Take,
for example, page:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Example-templates.html#Example-templates

There will appear 25 words per line on average in a 1280x1024 flat screen, and even more in a 1600x1200 screen. Let me describe an analog situation considering newspapers.

Think that you would get in the morning a newspaper whose lines would span the total width of the paper. How would you feel like reading it? My experience with a 1600x1200 screen has been that it is tiring to read a very long line -- and in the end of the line you jump to the next line, which may easily be a wrong one.

I cannot do better that the great newspapers, which have stuck to 800px width:

 LeMonde: http://www.lemonde.fr/
 BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/
 TIME: http://www.time.com/time/

In addition, they have several paragraphs.

Sometimes, you seed a good mixture of a full width and 800 px width:

 YLE (like BBC of Finland): http://www.yle.fi/

Even music scores has "paragraphs" -- just take away all the bar lines and you will recognize the effect of long lines.

What is the direction in which you would like to fix/revert? Currently, the logical structure of the web pages have been described, but the readability of the pages is not quaranteed.

- Heikki