libtool

Re: Linking problem building iconv on Solaris x86

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Linking problem building iconv on Solaris x86
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:47:36 +0200

* Dr. David Kirkby wrote on Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:30:25AM CEST:
> On 08/11/10 05:33 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >Can you try removing that from the archive_cmds and archive_expsyms_cmds
> >variable settings in the first 150 lines of the generated libtool script
> >and seeing if the link then works?  You might still have to also remove
> >-no-undefined from the link command line again.  Thanks.
>
> There's no such things in the first 150 lines, but if you are happy
> with the first 320 lines, then yes. I set:
>
> archive_cmds=""
> archive_expsym_cmds=""

Ah, no, I didn't mean to empty those variables completely, just remove
the '\${wl}-z \${wl}text' thingies from the variable setting; keep the
rest, please.

> >If that works, then at least you have a workaround.
>
> It's not so easy as that, as I don't know how to modify the
> makefile/configure script so that it installs all the files needed
> in the right places. This does a lot more than build a few libraries
> that I can copy to a lib directory.

Don't worry.  If we find a way to manually fix things, then there is
most always a way to fixup things more or less automatically.  I just
first need confirmation that the above really is an exposer for the
issue and not a distraction; given that information, I can help you
with a patch against libtool.m4, or against configure scripts.

> The other problem is that to make some progress on Sage, I really
> need a package that is not going to be very difficult for someone to
> install. Getting people to test on Solaris is hard enough - without
> the hassles of them doing this manually

Sure.

Cheers,
Ralf