libtool

Linking problem building iconv on Solaris x86

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Linking problem building iconv on Solaris x86
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:07:28 +0100

I'm trying to build a 64-bit version of libiconv on Some Solaris machines. This works on all SPARC, and on 06/2009 release of OpenSolaris on an Intel Xeon. But I'm getting error messages at the link phase on two machines

* Solaris 10 update 5 (released 05/2008) on x86
* OpenSolaris 11/2008 on x86.

A list of the systems where I've built iconv, and the success/failure can be seen here in a table

In each case, iconv is configured with a --prefix=/where/we/want/to/install

and in the case of 64-bit builds, CFLAGS is set to -m64. In each case gcc was
used.

Here's the build log. (It's built as part of Sage, but there's nothing linked or anything special done)

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/9718/iconv-1.13.1.p2.log

Note theres a few warnings like

Line 1203: libtoolT: No such file or directory

Then further down.
"warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration; ignored"

and finally a failures with that often reported problem: "Text relocation remains referenced against symbol"

I thought I'd try adding -fPIC, since not all lines have that, though most have "fPIC -DPIC". But adding -fPIC to the compiler flags did not help.

Any ideas?

Dave