Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 18:28:08 -0400

(Not responding to Marinus specifically, just getting a few thoughts in
the thread.)

1. First, the FSF has a community team of volunteers who try to respond
to this sort of public issue.  The public-facing PR arm of the FSF, as
it were.  Perhaps it should send a rebuttal to the journal?  Thoughts,
Pen-Yuan?

2. I recall an anecdote that might help crystallize things.

I recall reading a comment from the founder (and copyright holder) of
the LLVM project, saying that he chose a permissive license for the
project because he had the intention of someday making a proprietary
product based on it. (I probably can't find that quote, sorry!)

Now, if you're an expert in writing compilers and have a notion to
contribute to LLVM, how do you like the fact that you could offer your
contribution freely, but the copyright holder could take it, add his
own contributions, and put it not into LLVM but into a proprietary
"LLVM+".  You would have no access to the improved version; you could
pay for a binary blob but you won't have the source code.  All you have
is an assurance that LLVM--as of the version you contributed to--will
always be available.  Not a bad thing, but aren't you a bit of a
sucker?  You gave, he took; he gave, and now you can't get.  Wouldn't
you rather contribute to a project with a strong Free license, so you
know you'll get the benefit of future contributions from others?

3. *Of course* corporations are expressing a preference for permissive
licenses.  This benefits those that would like to make proprietary
products based on them.  *Of course* the GPL makes it harder to work
with such software projects.  This is simply a matter of large,
powerful entities generating discourse that benefits them, and people
not really paying attention to the deeper phenomenon.  It seems
critical these days in all areas of our lives:  we need to evaluate the
power and financial dynamics involved, and the motives of the entity
generating the discourse.

(Isn't it the case that Google has made a rule of no additional GPL
software in Android?  And of course they are developing their own
kernel so they can get rid of Linux.  Is it our business to make life
better for Google?)

4. 99% of people, including (especially?) highly computer-literate
people, have never even thought about associating ethics with
software.  We haven't lost the debate; we haven't *had* the debate.
Just getting the question on the table would be a success.

-Jim Garrett