[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreplanet-discuss] Minifree Libreboot X220 libre laptop launched (pre
[libreplanet-discuss] Minifree Libreboot X220 libre laptop launched (pre-order)
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 18:52:30 +0000
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Icedove/45.6.0
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Minifree has launched a new freedom-friendly laptop, with the free and
open source Libreboot BIOS replacement, and Debian GNU+Linux
preinstalled. This is the first modern laptop available with entirely
libre software at every level, with no backdoors or rootkits like with
the larger companies, and it's available on pre-order today.
This is good for security-conscious people who believe in Free
Software, and want a system that they can trust. This includes
businesses, professionals, governments and any other application where
data privacy is a must. It's also good generally for those who wish to
use a system that respects their freedom.
Here it is (more information is on the page):
This has positive implications for security in terms of auditability,
and therefore privacy in general (no backdoors!). It's also free
software friendly, so there are zero binary blobs and zero proprietary
software running on it in the OS or BIOS. You have all of the four
freedoms over each part of the boot process, which means that you the
user are in full control.
For the first time ever, it is possible for companies to use
The Libreboot X220 is an upgrade from the existing Libreboot X200 that
was sold previously. Here are just some of the improvements with the X22
* do actual, serious work e.g. programming or 3D modeling. Software
development nowadays requires powerful computers, because software
becomes more complex. The sheer amount of time to build from source
can be a problem on its own. The D16 can support up to 16 fast AMD
Opteron cores per CPU, and 2 CPUs are possible so 32 cores in total.
This is ideal for software development.
* provide professional hosting services for paying clients, and run a
* provide servers inside organisations
* play modern games (libre ones)
* etc (anything that requires a fast computer, basically)
* Has a touchpad and trackpoint mouse pointer. The X200 only had the
* Higher battery life
* SATA III support (6Gbps possible on SSD. The X200 can only do 3Gbps
* 2nd mSATA SSD possible in the 2nd mini PCI-E slot (mSATA drives not
yet sold by Minifree)
* much faster CPU (core i5/i7 on X220, core 2 duo on X200) *per CPU
core*, and has more CPU cores (X220 is quad-core, vs X200 which is
dual-core). This makes serious professional software development
possible, aswell as enabling all kinds of other high performance use
case scenarios which previously the libre software community had
fallen short on.
* LED backlit panel instead of CCFL (X200 uses CCFL). LED is more
reliable (lasts longer without dimming over time). Better
colour/contrast compared to X200. Brighter backlight.
much faster video performance (Intel HD 3000 on X220, vs Intel GMA
4500MHD on X200)
higher screen resolution (1366×768 on X220, vs 1280×800 on X200)
* DisplayPort digital video output built in (X200 only has VGA)
supports more RAM (up to 16GiB, versus X200 which only supports 8GiB)
current hardware. Moores law has slowed down in recent years; the X220
is roughly on par with performance standards for even the most
demanding of software developers. The X220 is a popular laptop for
hackers and professional users alike
* larger ESC key
* better CPU cooling (and more power-efficient CPU)
* USB 3.0 possible (with the Core i7 model. NOTE: untested)
* Better webcam (720p HD with a decent microphone, compared to X200
which has low resolution webcam) – NOTE: not all X220 laptops from
Minifree have webcams. If you want it, tell us and we’ll make sure to
ship one that has it.
Spread the word!
Use free software. Free as in freedom.
Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.
Use a free BIOS.
Support computer user freedom.
Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- [libreplanet-discuss] Minifree Libreboot X220 libre laptop launched (pre-order),
Leah Rowe <=