[libreplanet-discuss] Why medical technology often doesn't make it from

From: David Hirst
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Why medical technology often doesn't make it from drawing board to hospital
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:33:42 -0000

Why medical technology often doesn’t make it from drawing board to hospital

https://theconversation.com/why-medical-technology-often-doesnt-make-it-from-drawing-board-to-hospital-72981

This article, published under a cc licence, so freely available, criticises “free” software and not providing incentives to make it robust enough and easy enough for clinical use. The conversation is not peer-reviewed, but is a voice for academics, who are used to peer scrutiny.

I do not know the field, but I can see that there is huge scope for tools to help visualisation of scans that might make them easier to interpret.

But I suspect it is a bit naïve to blame “incentives”, and it sounds a bit neolib to me. But somebody more expert in the area may have better grounds for comment.

The article can have comments made about it, and I think you can be confident that the author will see them and respond.

Regards

David

David Hirst

Mobile:  +44 7831 405443