Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Amusing Free Software Story

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Amusing Free Software Story
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:52:57 -0700

Libre is indeed perfectly fine as long as it gets over the one burden of
becoming acceptable for English.

But note that "FLOSS" is lousy while "FLO" is fine. And that's why
Snowdrift.coop has embraced "FLO" because we're not strictly about software
anyway.

The simple fact is, unless we could make everyone *stop* using "Open" (and note
that there are orgs like Open Knowledge who are not half-assed (i.e. no NC/ND
bullshit) and also not promoting the corporate watered-down philosophy of "Open
Source" ­— i.e. Open Knowledge is indeed about empowering the people, not about
a business process.), we can't avoid the discussion.

I would *love* if everyone just went with Libre and it got accepted in English
context, that's that. But we would need Open Knowledge and FSF and others to
embrace "Libre" fully. Otherwise, we'll have to keep clarifying that we *do*
mean "free" in FSF terms. As long as we *are* acknowledging that but accept the
downsides, then "Free/Libre" is needed, and I really think Free/Libre/Open i.e.
FLO is the best general option.