Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:04:49 -0700

> See "Network Services Aren't Free or Nonfree; They Raise Other Issues":
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html

The document seems to say it is impossible to safely share hardware.

But it is not impossible, we just don't yet know how.

We will forever be subjugated by those who own the factories making
DRM hardware and the ISPs spying on us and the Cloud providers and
those who own the cell-phone networks until we tackle this difficult
but not impossible problem.

It is easy to prove we can afford to be the owners since we, the users
already pay all the costs of that production and *more* when we pay
profit.

We will continue to cry and beg the owners to "do the right" thing
even though they *cannot* do the right thing (allow us complete
freedom) because their shareholders require profit, and profit
requires scarcity, and so we are forever divided unless we address
*who* must co-own the Means of Production.

When the users (consumers) co-own the Means of Production, they can
accept the product itself as the return on investment (ROI), and so
the product is never sold and profit does not even enter the picture.

But more importantly, when we the users finally co-own our ISPs and
Cloud equipment and the machines needed to host Fakebook replacements,
then we will only need to fight amongst ourselves (and secede into
subgroups when necessary) instead of fighting a group of owners that
are diametrically opposed to our real goals.