Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?

From: Gustavo C. M.
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:43:48 -0200

> Thanks for the help Gustavo, I had not read it this way.

You are welcome.

> On the other hand, I wonder why "Network Interaction" (as covered by
> the GNU AGPL) is not considered "making available the public"...
>
> Is there a legal difference if the owner put the computers in the back
> of the cafe and had dumb terminals for the customers to connect
> through a network?

I am not a lawyer (I don't even know the law), but it seems to me that
the owner of the coffee house, in the case you pointed out, keeps owning
the equipment in comparison with the former configuration: he owns the
whole network (the server, the connection and the clients -- I don't
know if a terminal's dumbness would interfere with its qualification as
a "client", and so with the "network" status of the whole thing), being
that his instrument of propagation of covered works (his customers, the
public, are using his equipment), while in (most?) cases of "Network
**Interaction**" none of the parties own the whole network: the client
computer is owned by the "consumer", the network is owned mostly by
third parties and the server is owned by the provider.

In the second case, the data for computation in the server comes from a
computer owned by the "customer" (let's say it's a "delegation" of
computing); in the first one, it already comes from the providers' one
(let's say the computing is already delegated by the very system's
structure) -- remembering that, so, the services provided in both cases
are not the same.