Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: IntrosMedia
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 07:56:18 -0500

2012/5/26 lluvia <lluvia_lists@lavabit.com>
It would be good for free software movement leaving the gnu icon just
for the GNU operating system.

They are different concepts at all, since GNU is free software in the
same way that some *BSDs or SuperTux are: they all satisfy the free
software definition. I know that this distinction has been done very
well yet and we have text material for writing a lot of books, but I'm
missing a free software image/logo.

I don't know if it would be good that FSF represents the free software
idea beyond than working for it. At any case, in my opinion, the logo of
FSF doesn't meet the purpose of presenting that something is free
software (compatible). The main reason is that it is basically letters.

Is the purpose of this campaign to create a label specific to free software?
If not, why not use the Free Cultural Works definition and logo?

In my opinion, even though an icon that represents well and clearly the
idea of freedom would be a good thing for the label, I think it's not that
important. When people start to see the label everywhere they'll get
curious and click on it, even if they don't understand the meaning of the
icon immediately.

But I agree the label should not use FSF's or GNU's logos if the label
is applicable to other things besides software.

I liked a lot the original idea of relaunching the GNU image, but now I
think that, instead, it should be better presenting a new free software
image. The scope of GNU is limited, our mission is the adoption of free
software, which is much more important.

As an idea more for the brainstorming, I propose that the free software
image/logo be based on a freedom symbol with some of the following
elements {computers, bits, pixels, networks}. Human happiness or natural
things such as flowers could be the freedom symbol, though.

Some final thoughts that could be useful:

 * Attribution to GNU for every free software piece could be considered
unjust.
 * Gnus are not related with freedom in computing for most of people.

--
Felipe Lopez
IntrosMedia