Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 08:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Martinez said:

> Most non-technical users cannot see or understand what software freedom is.
> They are unable to recognize in how far their choice actually connects to the
> idea of free software.

Labeling might be a good thing to do but I'm not sure that I agree with your
reasoning behind it. Your explanation make it seem as if "non-technical users"
as you describe them are just mindless sheep "that passively graze on what
others make available to them." [1]

I think that everyone can appreciate software freedom [2]. That you propose an
educational campagin disproves, I think, your point that people "cannot" see or
understand what software freedom is or are "unable to recognize"...

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer
[2] http://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2011/spring/why-should-i-care-about-that