Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible way to read files >= 4 GiB
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 22:30:58 +0200

Hi,

Pete Batard wrote:
> IMO, a v2 should be reserved for "oh yeah, we designed the _whole_
> thing very wrong,

Probably i never really expressed my emotions towards that name member
of variable size at the end of the struct. "Very wrong" is much too feeble.

> But if you're really addressing a single issue,

The issue is that the interface iso9660_stat_t cannot be enhanced without
breaking the ABI each time.

> So I am against going through an over-design for purely academical problems,

That's exactly the point to decide.
What is the importance of ABI stability in libcdio ?
In most dynamic libraries it is a big issue.

> Furthermore, I very much think we want to nudge developers into caring for
> extents in their code, which isn't going to happen if they can simply
> compile with latest libcdio and not see anything changed.

What if an application is poorly maintained but still in use. Hoping for
a qualified developer to adapt to new API demands might be too optimistic.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas