Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems

From: Anton Tagunov
Subject: Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:19:05 +0400

I agree with Tanenbaum that if an active program's working set
>> does not fit in core and must be swapped, there is a problem.

shap> if you believe that we will remain crippled by 32-bit address limits
shap> forever, then Andy is right. But if you believe that 64-bit virtual
shap> addresses are an inevitable transition (as I do), then I think Andy's
shap> assertion is questionable.

Hi! Thought:

    mmap( 1Tb file ) into 64bit address space
    use part X of the file
    tell OS that part X of file is no longer needed

= application is simple (64bit of address)
+ still responsible for it's working set size

cheers