Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:53:25 +0100

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:03:01PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 16:07 +0100, Sam Mason wrote:
> > I tend to use my computer for listening to music and playing videos
> > and tend to get annoyed when the music skips or frames are dropped.
> > Thus timeliness is as important as overall utilisation for some of my
> > workloads.
>
> Sam: I agree, but what you experienced was a disk I/O scheduling fault,
> not a limitation on available memory.

I read it as applying to the CPU scheduler as well, rereading it I think
I got that wrong.

> OTOH, disk I/O scheduling is considered a hard problem.

Guaranteeing bandwidth/latency to specific processes seems hard to me.
It always seemed to be the latency making it all so difficult, but I'm
not sure if that's just the way I was thinking about it before.

  Sam