Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Resource Management on General-Purpose Systems
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:07:03 +0100

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 04:41:59PM +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> General-purpose systems include both interactive systems, such as PDAs
> and Desktops, as well as small to medium-sized servers.  Although many
> applications that run on such systems have timeliness properties,
> efficient use of available resources is more important than
> schedulability (i.e., meeting deadlines).

I tend to use my computer for listening to music and playing videos
and tend to get annoyed when the music skips or frames are dropped.
Thus timeliness is as important as overall utilisation for some of my
workloads.

If utilisation was all that mattered, we'd still be with cooperative
multi-threading wouldn't we?

   Sam