Re: patch and request

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: patch and request
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:19:11 +0200

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:51:10PM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Ps: cvs diff was doing weird things, I got a load of "? filename" entries
> in my patch file (which means they went to stdout, not stderr).  Therefore
> I'm not sure if this is exactly how the patch should look.

You can remove them manually, but they don't do any harm.

> +The source code for Pistachio is available from
> +http://www.l4ka.org/projects/pistachio/download.php
> +It includes the source for sigma0.

I added a lightly different wording.

>  Furthermore, sigma0 must be built with a different link base than the
>  default value 0x20000, because that conflicts with GRUB (on ia32).  I
> -have successfully used a link base of 0x40000.
> +have successfully used a link base of 0x40000.  The link base can be
> +set by giving --with-sigma0-linkbase=0x40000 as an argument to configure.

Have you tried this?  I haven't, but I have one report where someone told
me it doesn't work.  It would be nice to have a verification of this.

> +To build sigma0, configure and make must be run in pistachio-0.2/user/.
> +Sigma0 will end up in pistachio-0.2/user/serv/sigma0/sigma0.
> +To build the kernel, type make in pistachio-0.2/ and follow the
> +instructions.

This information must be in the Pistachio source tree, not in this one.

> +Note that (at the time of this writing) Pistachio cannot be built with
> +gcc-3.3.  Setting the CC environment variable to "/usr/bin/gcc-3.2" helps.

Same here.

>  Then set up GRUB to boot laden as the kernel, and the L4 kernel,
> -sigma0, wortel (the rootserver) and physmem as its modules.
> +sigma0, wortel (the rootserver) and physmem as its modules (in that order).

> +An example menu.lst file for grub:

(...) Ok.

> -       panic ("Unexpected page fault from 0x%xat address 0x%x (IP 0x%x)",
> +       panic ("Unexpected page fault from 0x%x at address 0x%x (IP 0x%x)",

Ok.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden