Re: slab allocator

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: slab allocator
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:18:59 +0200

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 04:51:36PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> This looks very great already.  I have not digged through it completely
> (yet), but what I saw was good.  We will need assignment papers for you (you
> know the drill), and I can put it in when the process is under way.

As this is unreleased development software anyway, I put it in (trusting
that the assignment will follow up).  I did some mild style corrections and
language fixing, and made all globals in slab.c static.

There are some internal names that are prefixed by hurd_ or __hurd_.  This
is not strictly necessary, but it's ok if you want to keep it that way.

One question I have: Why are slab spaces themselves managed with a slab?
This makes sense to me if the slab allocator is the only one, but here the
default allocator is malloc, and the slab allocator is used for many objects
of the same type.  I don't think we will have lots and lots of slab spaces
dynamically created, so I think that just using malloc to allocate slab
spaces would be fine.  Of course, who knows what will happen.  We might find
lots of places to use such slab spaces, even dynamically, but I am not sure.

Thanks!
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/