Re: slab allocator

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: slab allocator
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:04:18 +0200

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> wrote:

: There are some internal names that are prefixed by hurd_ or __hurd_.  This
: is not strictly necessary, but it's ok if you want to keep it that way.

I prefixed them with hurd or __hurd since they were global.

: One question I have: Why are slab spaces themselves managed with a slab?
: This makes sense to me if the slab allocator is the only one, but here the
: default allocator is malloc, and the slab allocator is used for many objects
: of the same type.  I don't think we will have lots and lots of slab spaces
: dynamically created, so I think that just using malloc to allocate slab
: spaces would be fine.  Of course, who knows what will happen.  We might find
: lots of places to use such slab spaces, even dynamically, but I am not sure.

Actually, there is no need for doing that.  But slab sapces are small objects
with a static size, for which the slab allocator is used.  But you're right,
malloc could be used instead.  That would eliminate the need for a init
function.

--
Johan Rydberg, Free Software Developer, Sweden
http://rtmk.sf.net | http://www.nongnu.org/guss/

Playing Plump DJs v.s. LFO - Low Frequency Bootilator