koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha-zebra] Re: Unimarc, marc21, Unicode, and MARC::Fi

From: Pierrick LE GALL
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: [Koha-zebra] Re: Unimarc, marc21, Unicode, and MARC::File::XML
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:09:21 +0100

Hello Mike,

I'll answer to the second question, since I worked with Paul on
Perl/MySQL and UTF-8...

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:59:32 -0500
"Mike Rylander" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Are you using decode_utf8($mysql_string) to let Perl know that the
> database is UTF8 encoded?  IIRC, MySQL doesn't know how to tell Perl
> about that, and the DBD::MySQL maintainer haven't added that
> functionality to the module yet.

We don't use decode_utf8. Just after the database handler creation, we
force communication to be UTF-8 with "set names 'UTF8'" SQL query. As
we know our data are UTF-8 stored and we want UTF-8, all works fine.

Bye

--
Pierrick LE GALL
INEO media system