js-shield

Branch cleanup and plans for 0.6

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Branch cleanup and plans for 0.6
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:41:42 +0100

Hello all,

I went through the fpd2 branch and it was a total mess. There were merges that introduced duplicate commits. The fpd development is mixed with newui, blogpost commits etc.

Because we (folks at BUT) need to proceed with the release of FPD due to the commitments to the NLNet, we decided that we will try to finalize a 0.6 release with the Fingerprint detector during the next week and close the NLNet activity. It seems that we will not be able to finish the newui (it does not work for me, yet). As the new web is not auto-generated, yet, I think that we will keep the Restrictor name for that release.

The commits from the fpd2 branch (excluding merges) are now divided into several topic branches, we have:

master

0.5.5 tag -------\
 |               |
 v               |
no commits, yet  |
future merges    |
or simple tweaks |
will go here     |

              devel0.6
               branch
           (cherry-picked
           commits of FPD
            development
            and some UI
               fixes)

                 |\--------------------------------------
                 |                      \                \
            stabilisation         fpdblog branch       newui branch
          commits improving              |                |
          FPD should go here      commits related      commits related
                 |               to the blog post      to new ui should
         This will be merged      should go here       go here
         to master once FPD              |
             is ready            this will likely
                                 be squashed and
                                 merged to master
                                 with devel0.6

I propose that we try to keep these (and similar) branches to ease the selection process for commits that should be merged to master.

Please create topic branches as you see fit and keep the history readable.

As the reorganization process triggered some conflicts with fixes from master branch, I also propose to merge master after every release to the topic branches (or rebase of the topic branches) if there is not a reason not to do so.

i will try to summarize the development process and the guide in January/February. Please, let me know any objections or improvements by that time.

Thanks

Libor