js-shield

Development meeting 20211203

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Development meeting 20211203
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 11:47:35 -0500

- Student updates on API research
  - Fingerprinting reduction task plan is to crawl popular websites. Check which APIs are called and which are blocked by uBlock Origin. If something is used a lot on blocked scripts and not used much on nonblocked scripts, these APIs are good candidates for creating wrappers or these might be used for fingerprinting. Inspired by a study by Peter Schneider who is working on Brave and works on a privacy group on W3C.   - We want to have a privacy script that we can run from time to time to gather current statistics into JSON or some kind of data format. This would detect fingerprinting and could be used to prevent fingerprinting. We want to update these files based on the study.   - Make sure to standardize the list of filters are the same across the group participating in the study. You can check the enabled filters by clicking on the uBlock Origin icon, click the settings icon to open the dashboard, click on the Filter lists tabs, and verify which entries have checkmarks.
- Default levels that are set now show up in the description in the popup.
- Fixed long standing bug that fixes functionality of the extension after update without reloading.
- Cleaned label names with optional descriptions.
- Double checking that the changes to the new GUI actually make changes.

Best,
Michael McMahon | Web Developer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 4337 2794 C8AD D5CA 8FCF  FA6C D037 59DA B600 E3C0
https://fsf.org

US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us through the
Combined Federal Campaign. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/