Re: Save mail in multiple mbox files

From: William F Hammond
Subject: Re: Save mail in multiple mbox files
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:34:56 -0500

moocow@mindless.com writes:

> I think there is a good reason.
>  * Get your mail via imap
>  * C-o messages to separate files and delete them from imap
>  tediously (B <del>)

One can write an elisp function (for placement in .gnus) to combine
the actions of C-o and B <del>, and one can wire that function to a
key.

> Now you have all your messages nearly sorted into lots of files
> according to author/subject..
>
> You can read the files with nndoc, but nndoc is a read-only
> affair.

Yes, nndoc objects are read-only from within gnus -- a feature I like
since I regard these files as records.

> Having dealt with a topic, you really need something like rmail (or
> mailx or whatever) to clean up. B <del> is not going to work here.

I don't remember being able to edit mboxes with rmail.  I commonly use
mailx for this.

                                    -- Bill