Re: Save mail in multiple mbox files

From: William F Hammond
Subject: Re: Save mail in multiple mbox files
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:02:04 -0500

moocow@mindless.com writes:

> . . .
> What I would like is
>   * gnus reads from imap
>   * I can store an article (mail message) in a file (mbox format)
>     with an arbitrary name

This can certainly be done with nnmbox as a secondary selection method
by setting up mail-sources suitably.

> Some observations..  I am having a hard time persuading the nnmbox
> backend not to use ~/mbox.

I don't know, but I guess that changing this would require modifying
the code for nnmbox.

> I would be content if I could
>   * read from imap with gnus
>   * save articles to a holding place (preferably mbox format)

      With nnmbox use the key C-o from the summary buffer, which
      invokes gnus-summary-save-article-mail (and appends to mbox),
      rather than the key o, which invokes gnus-summary-save-article
      (and appends to presumed babyl)

>   * use rmail to move them to final places later

    I don't understand what you mean, but I'm dubious about using
    rmail at all if you're using gnus.

    I have a privately written suite of shell scripts based on gawk
    for searching in and extracting messages from mboxes.  Other
    scripts that call them can be used to rearrange.  But the scripts
    are a tiny bit quirky in regard to message boundaries, so are
    not public.

> This would allow me to visit these files with the nndoc backend and
> read or reply.

Yes.

                                    -- Bill