Re: read mail in mbox files

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: read mail in mbox files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:41:04 +0100

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>> ernest <nfdisco@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> This is my setup: I use fetchmail to get mail from
>>> different POP/IMAP servers, then split the incoming
>>> mail with procmail into different mbox files in ~/Mail.
>>> What I'd like is gnus to work directly on these mbox
>>> files. Is this possible? What backend do I need?
>>> I'd say I don't even want a backend, because I don't
>>> want to copy mail anywhere!
>>> Frankly, I'm a bit confused :/
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ernest
>>
>> You're not alone! This is *probably* the nnml backend.
>>
>>    (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "nnml"))
>>
>> That said I dont know for sure ;)
>>
>> I mention it because the default is  ~/Mail.
>>
>> But a point : despite using Gnus for a few years now I am not clear
>> on what "incoming mail" means in the context.  Possibly it looks in
>> /var/spool/mail. But since your mail is already there, I dunno.
>>
>> Best of luck!
>
> If I understand correctly 'incoming mail' in this context means that
> Gnus will use ~/Mail as a directory from which he will get and 'digest'
> email to the selected mail (nnml) backend.

I have no idea : it seems to get it from the spool. There are no
concrete examples that I can find.

> I remember experimenting with these two here:
>
> (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)
> (setq mail-sources '((directory :path "~/Mail"
>                               :suffix "")))

~/Mail is a default. I am "pretty sure" (thats a euphemism meaning "I am
happy to remain in ignorance as it works for me") that nnml reads
"incoming" from the spool /var/spool and then stores them in mbox (or
whatever?!?) in ~/Mail. Asking for examples has generally been
unsuccessful - I just know I dont have any nnfolder thingies. Just that
nnml select.

But here we see an issue with the docs. nnml?

Also FWIW, I see the same Qs every day in #emacs pretty much : most
people tend to revert to mutt ;( Sometimes its nice to know one is not
alone.

> Setting the suffix Gnus will digest only the mbox-es with that suffix in
> the filename. As long as mail-source-delete-incoming is nil, I think you
> are safe (as the original mbox-es will be intact).
>
> That said (to the OP), in order to get Gnus read your ~/Mail directly,
> you will have to use the nnfolder backend I think. I'm sure I have tried
> successfully the nnfolder sometime in the past as I had the exact same
> setup as yours. Don't forget to BACKUP your email. I bear no
> responsibility etc etc.
>
> Ultimately I ended up with nnml+fancy splitting+mail sources removing
> procmail from the equation completely. I think that I ended up with a
> much more versatile setup.

I used to use fancy splitting but cant get it working with spam-split
with nognus anymore. Calls for a working config haven't been successful
;(

Gnus is great. Just getting it working can be a .. hurdle ...