Re: Gnus and new mail notification

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus and new mail notification
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:30:30 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:

>>> Concrete example: if splitting includes spam rules, gnubiff will notify
>>> you of spam too.
>>>

>> Yes that is most certainly true. Since I use googlemail I'm kind of
>> spoiled as their spam filtering server side is pretty good these days
>> (that and my spam-split set up doesnt work anymore on NoGnus) and so I
>> turned off client side "spam-split"ting.
>
> If you use gmail, you can have easy mail notification with:
>
> https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom
>
> It give you an xml buffer you have to parse.
>
> A library exists on emacswiki for this, don't remember the name, it
> didn't work for me so i wrote small code for this for my personal use, i
> can send it if interested.
> Of course if one use gnus-demon, it's non--sense to use this.

Just as an FYI to the OP if new to Gnus, I have found the best set up
for me with Gnus is dovecot locally fed by offlineimap which is run as a
cron job every half hour or so. nnir search works really well and of
course there are then no performance or bandwidth issues with Gnus
talking imap with remote gmail servers. Plus you have a local copy of
your mail. Here is one "how to" for the set up:

http://sachachua.com/blog/2008/05/geek-how-to-use-offlineimap-and-the-dovecot-mail-server-to-read-your-gmail-in-emacs-efficiently/
http://tinyurl.com/26cwmok

regards

r.