Re: Gnus and new mail notification

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus and new mail notification
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 21:31:43 +0100

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:

> I wasn't happy with the existing new mail notification scripts that I've
> found on emacswiki.
>
> I've put together a new script, called "gnus-notify"[1], that can call
> any arbitrary program when new messages are received. The default uses
> the 'notify-send' program (part of libnotify's library) which creates
> little popup messages. This is especially useful if you have virtual
> desktops and leave Gnus running with gnus-demon.
>
> The result (showing Gnus + awesomewm + libnotify-bin on Debian) is shown
> here:
>
>   http://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/hacks/gnus-notify.png
>
> You can also do arbitrary stuff by either setting a different
> executable, or supplying an entirely new notification function.
> Simply read the commentary in the source.
>
> gnus-notify.el is available at:
>
>   http://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/hacks/gnus-notify.el
>
> Merry christmas :)
>
> [1] I know there's already a gnus-notify.el script, but I wasn't able to
>     come up with a better name.

I'm interested how this helps - I think I'm missing something. Since
this can only work in Gnus when Gnus sees new mail what purpose does it
server since Gnus has already fetched the mail : isnt a third party
imap/maildir asynchronous monitor a better solution for this external
notification process?

Also using the same name is somewhat silly since it will clash if
packaged in ELPA or something especially as it does something totally
different to gnus-notify : what about gnus-external-notify?

regards

r.