Re: format=flowed

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: format=flowed
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 17:47:34 +0100

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:46:16 +0100, Ralf Soergel wrote:
>> but it doesn't. Is there a reason as of why use-hard-newlines is
>> required? Wouldn't be enough to check if there's any line longer than 80
>> and use format=flowed automatically?
>
> I've the fill-adapt-minor-mode in effect. The help says, the fill
> functions insert soft linebreaks only if use-hard-newlines is in
> effect. But I find out the fill functions had inserted hard
> linebreaks, in result the sended message has only hard newlines in
> it. Because of this for the recipient's system was every linebreak a
> new paragraph, displayed with an empty line before.

Ok, I was able to make it work, when sending a message, by doing:

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
  (lambda ()
    (auto-fill-mode -1) ;; turn off auto-fill if enabled
    (setq truncate-lines nil
          word-wrap t)
    (use-hard-newlines)))

>> Then, when decoding a flowed message, soft-newlines aren't
>> restored. Again, I would like to use truncate-lines/word-wrap here (new
>> in emacs 23 if I remember correctly).
>
> Are you sure, the flowed message is encoded correctly?
> You should verify the raw text.

It is...

>> Is it possible?
>
> I've give up this mode ...

(use-hard-newlines) looks a relic from the past (emacs 22), when
word-wrap didn't exist and long-lines-mode was required.

Maybe some Gnus developer is reading this? Should I submit a bug/feature
request somewhere?