Re: format=flowed

From: Ralf Soergel
Subject: Re: format=flowed
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:46:16 +0100

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:

> I'm trying to make use of the format=flowed support in GNUS, but it's
> not working the way I intend it to.

I've tried too, but without success.

> I was hoping that setting the message buffer with the native word-wrap
> support would work:
>
> (setq truncate-lines t
>       word-wrap t)
>
> but it doesn't. Is there a reason as of why use-hard-newlines is
> required? Wouldn't be enough to check if there's any line longer than 80
> and use format=flowed automatically?

I've the fill-adapt-minor-mode in effect. The help says, the fill
functions insert soft linebreaks only if use-hard-newlines is in
effect. But I find out the fill functions had inserted hard
linebreaks, in result the sended message has only hard newlines in
it. Because of this for the recipient's system was every linebreak a
new paragraph, displayed with an empty line before.

> Then, when decoding a flowed message, soft-newlines aren't
> restored. Again, I would like to use truncate-lines/word-wrap here (new
> in emacs 23 if I remember correctly).

Are you sure, the flowed message is encoded correctly?
You should verify the raw text.

> Is it possible?

I've give up this mode ...

kind regards
Ralf

--
Linux is like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside