format=flowed

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: format=flowed
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 00:00:19 +0100

I'm trying to make use of the format=flowed support in GNUS, but it's
not working the way I intend it to.

I was hoping that setting the message buffer with the native word-wrap
support would work:

(setq truncate-lines t
      word-wrap t)

but it doesn't. Is there a reason as of why use-hard-newlines is
required? Wouldn't be enough to check if there's any line longer than 80
and use format=flowed automatically?

Then, when decoding a flowed message, soft-newlines aren't
restored. Again, I would like to use truncate-lines/word-wrap here (new
in emacs 23 if I remember correctly).

Is it possible?

Thanks