Re: Error in (info "(gnus)Splitting Mail")

From: Tommy Kelly
Subject: Re: Error in (info "(gnus)Splitting Mail")
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:53:14 -0600

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:33:47 -0600 Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com>
> wrote:
>
> TK> The person who wrote the stuff, understands it in intense
> TK> detail without the documentation, and therefore has little or no need
> TK> of the documentation thinks the documentation is more readable as it is.
>
> TK> The person who is trying to learn the stuff, and must rely heavily on
> TK> said documentation thinks the documentation would be more readable with a
> TK> a minor fix.
>
> Štěpán was noting a minor issue: if mail comes from majordomoXcom (any
> single character) instead of majordomo.com, it will match that splitting
> rule.  I don't think Štěpán suggested it would make the documentation
> more readable to fix that.

You're right. Štěpán explained the thing to me and then flagged it to
The Documenters. *I* am suggesting that Štěpán's flagging was useful and
that, contrary to Lars's view, the proposed fix is worthwhile and makes
things more readable[1].

And my underlying point was that while Lars is an undoubted expert in
Gnus, *I* am an expert in being a new and clueless user of it.  The
documentation has an intended core audience, and it ain't Lars.

So Štěpán's point was one of regexp structure; mine, one of pedagogy.

All that said. I'm new here and have invested a mere fraction of the
hours in this project that y'all have. So don't hesitate to pat me on
the head and say "Shhhh! The grown-ups are speaking." :-)

Tommy

[1] Or rather, it makes it more consistent and understandable --
a.k.a. better. I'm with everyone else in that adding toothpicks rarely
makes for improved *read*-ability. But that -- toothpicks (and (to
further make the (undoubtedly made (albeit obliquely) by now) point)
parens) -- is the life we have chosen for ourselves.