Re: nnimap-split-fancy

From: Tommy Kelly
Subject: Re: nnimap-split-fancy
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:09:13 -0600

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:10:49 -0600, Tommy wrote:
>
>>                 ("from" ".*domain1\\.com" "emails-from-domain1)
>                                                                  ^
>                                                              Missing ".

Thanks Adam, but that's my bad. I omitted the closing quotes as I
created my email message. The original .gnus was correct (font and
indentation would have shown up that error a mile away).

But it was, as I say, my bad. Ignore me for now while I prepare a
definitive problem case.

But a question in the meantime:

> ... it helps
> pinpointing where I have forgotten some \'s or something (I am used to
> Perls regexp syntax, so remembering all the leaning toothpicks in Emacs
> regexps is sometimes a problem :-))

Yeah, me too. For example: why does the . in domain1.com require the
"\\" when included in the fancy split approach, but no toothpicks at all
are needed when the same string is included in the normal (non fancy)
approach?

At first I assumed it was because in the fancy approach the string is a regexp
while in non-fancy it's just a plain string. But that's not true is it? The
use of things like "^" and ".*"  in non-fancy shows it's a regexp too,
no?

Tommy