Re: Doc-view fonts

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Doc-view fonts
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:12:28 +0100

Haines Brown <haines@HistoricalMaterialism.info> writes:

Hi Haines,

>>> What do I need to install or configure to make the Doc-view
>>> documents legible? The emacs (23) package does not recommend any
>>> such installation.
>>
>> I think this isn't quite a Gnus question?
>
> I suspect it is a GNUS question in the sense that I can display the
> PDF article just fine with xpdf, but in emacs only the cover page is
> legible and all subsequent pages are only marginally legible.

Gnus is a mail and newsreader and has nothing to do with DocView, except
that both programs run on the emacs platform. :-)

Concerning your issue: DocView converts the PDF to PNG images, one for
each page, and then displays these images.  For the conversion, it uses
the `gs' (GhostScript) tool.  So if some fonts look bad, then it's a
problem with GhostScript, not with emacs, Gnus, or DocView.

Maybe the PDF contains embedded fonts that GhostScript cannot interpret
correctly, and xpdf simply decides to fall back to some default font?
In any case, if you found a solution, please let me know.

Bye,
Tassilo