Re: Doc-view fonts

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Doc-view fonts
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:47:33 -0000

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:42:55 -0500, Haines wrote:

>> I think this isn't quite a Gnus question?

> I suspect it is a GNUS question in the sense that I can display the PDF
> article just fine with xpdf, but in emacs only the cover page is legible
> and all subsequent pages are only marginally legible.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Gnus, the newsreader. It sounds
like it has a lot to do with GNU Emacs, though.

>> It is a feature of Gnus - your own articles don't show your name but to
>> where they were sent instead when displayed in the Summary.

> It is a feature to hide my name in the summary? Everyone else has their
> name shown in the line presented in gnus summary indicating who the the
> message is from.

Yes, that is a feature.

Think of email. When you have sent an email to someone, it is of more
interest to you to see who it was To than who it was From (you know who
you are yourself).

If I look in my "Sent email" group, I would see my own name on each and
every email. Not so interesting. Instead I see the name of the person
the email was sent to. Much more helpful.

>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ]
[...]

> I'm afraid you've lost me on this. It seems to say that From headers are
> suppressed and in their place is the To header line.

Exactly. When From matches _you_.

> I the first, for anyone visiting the news group already knows to what
> group the messages are being sent, but not whom they are from.

You also know your own name. Your article might be shown in your "Sent
News" group or in search results, where the group is more interesting
than your own name.

> I want my real name and address just like all other messages in the
> summary. What code can I put in ~/.gnus to get that that?

One thing you could do is to change gnus-ignored-from-addresses (that is
why I quoted the documentation of it).

>> When I read your article, your name was displayed just fine.

> And now I'm completely confused. When I look at messges in gnus
> newsgroups, my message line appears like "--> gnu.emacs". You are saying
> that it does not appear that way for you?

Of course it doesn't - my name isn't the same as yours.

I see "R.+[  64: Haines Brown           ] Re: Doc-view fonts" for your
article, and "R  [  42: => gnu.emacs.gnus      ] Re: Doc-view fonts"
for my own.

> I want to see something like "haines@histomat.net <Haines Brown>" in
> the newsgroup summary lines. Are you saying that is what you see
> there?

Yes, of course.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Vilken sanning, Måns, är sann?"                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk