Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:18:00 -0600

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

>>> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
>>
>>    ( [2]  Either forward it through SSH, or just point it an
>>           the Win32 machine.
>>
>> Errr . .  you don't mean just ssh -X do you?  And how would one set
>> point it at the win machine?  By IP or UNC or what?
>
> Yup.  The DISPLAY variable is a standard X feature, with the syntax:
>
>     ${host}:${display}
>
> Eg:  export DISPLAY=win64.example.com:0
>      export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
>
> Your display number should be zero (the first X display), and it
> will make a TCP connection to port 6000 + <display number> on the
> target machine to display things.

Sorry to keep hacking away about this but I'm not getting the expected
results.

Does X11 have to be running on remote (linux) box?

I mean if I'm on a windows machine with Xming running, in order to
pull a gui gnus session to the windows machine does X have to be
running on the linux machine?

I ask because my original question was about how to do this when the
remote linux machine is in console mode.

When I attempt the connection in that situation I get an error on the
linux remote if I try to connect to a running emacs daemon.

Using putting to ssh to remote then:

emacsclient  -s nognus -c (where `nognus' is the daemons name)

  Waiting for Emacs...
  *ERROR*: Display 192.168.0.3:0 can't be opened

The ip number there is the windows machines' static IP on home lan.
As you see the display is set to it.

If I start emacs separate from the daemon it just starts in -nw mode
in the teminal on the remote.

Maybe there is no way to do this without X running on remote?