Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:41:55 +1100

> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> 1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.[1]
>> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
>> 3. Huge Profit!
>
> Haa nice.  Sorry to be a dunce and probably at risk of taxing your
> patience..

No problem. :)

>> 1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.
>   Will it matter if it is 64 bit?

It shouldn't, because Windows has a very good 32/64 bit compatibility story,
but I have never tried it myself.  I just can't imagine why it would...

>> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
>
>    ( [2]  Either forward it through SSH, or just point it an
>           the Win32 machine.
>
> Errr . .  you don't mean just ssh -X do you?  And how would one set point
> it at the win machine?  By IP or UNC or what?

Yup.  The DISPLAY variable is a standard X feature, with the syntax:

    ${host}:${display}

Eg:  export DISPLAY=win64.example.com:0
     export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0

Your display number should be zero (the first X display), and it will make a
TCP connection to port 6000 + <display number> on the target machine to
display things.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707